SharePoint 2010/2013 - Today as Calculated Column - Used for date age calculation
SharePoint does not allow the Calculated field with function like [Today] or [Me] , And when we required to calculate a age of an issue created from today's date, this will be an issue. Here is a simple way to fix this issue
- Add a new column to list with Today as Column name and select Date Time as Type.
- Select the default value as Today's date and save it
- Create a new column as Age and select type as calculated field. Use the below formulate to get the date difference.
- Select the data type returned from this formula as Number and set number of decimals to 0 and save it.
- Now delete the Today columns that is created from step 1. ( if you don't delete this , answer will be based on this column which will be empty and you'll get a -ve value).
- Now your list display difference as the age in days.
Here , you can use any other date column that you have created. This formula will give you the result as difference between today and created date. EX: Created Date = 5/1 and Today is 6/2, then Age = 32. And for custom columns if no date is present, this will display NA.
PS: The calculated fields will not auto refresh every day. For auto refresh, it has to go through custom code or timer job.